1. What is the Black Berkey Primer™ & what does it do? The Black Berkey Primer™ is a hand-powered priming pump that makes it possible to prime Black Berkey™ Elements easily offline, without the need for faucets or hose connections. Priming the Black Berkey™ Elements saturates the filters with water prior to their use, allowing for clean water production anywhere. The Black Berkey Primer™ also purges (or back-flushes) the Black Berkey™ Elements using air instead of water to clean the proprietary pores of the compressed carbon filter wall. Purging the Black Berkey™ Elements accomplishes two tasks: (1) It clears the pores of debris that has accumulated with use, (2) reduces the amount of time & effort needed to dry the filters prior to storing them. In addition, those who may be having difficulty priming their elements in a small sink, can use the Black Berkey Primer™ instead.
2. How does the Black Berkey Primer™ work? With a Black Berkey™ Element properly immersed in water & attached to it, the Black Berkey Primer™ creates a simple pressure gradient which draws water into the center of each Black Berkey™ Element. Once the Black Berkey™ Element is completely saturated with water, it passes through the Black Berkey Primer™ and squirts out of the opposite end.
3. Why do I need the Black Berkey Primer™? Every owner of a Berkey® Water System which uses Black Berkey™ Elements will find it easier to prime and purge the filters, wherever the Berkey®is used. The Black Berkey Primer™ is the final piece in making your Berkey® Water System your off-grid solution for clean drinking water and for everyday use. In addition, if you have a small sink or short faucet, the Black Berkey Primer™ makes it easy to prime your Black Berkey™ Elements.
4. How do I clean & store the Black Berkey Primer™? Black Berkey Primer™ can be cleaned with a proper dilution of natural cleaning products, or mild soap and warm water. Components should be thoroughly rinsed & allowed to air dry prior to storage in a cool, dark, & dry place. Keep out of exposure from direct sunlight as UV light will breakdown the product. Do not microwave the Black Berkey Primer™ .
5. Does the Black Berkey Primer™ work with non-Berkey® filters? The Black Berkey Primer™ is specifically designed for use with Black Berkey™ Elements.
6. Is the Black Berkey Primer™ made in the USA? Yes, the Black Berkey Primer™ is 100% manufactured & assembled in the United States of America.