Priming The Berkey Fluoride Filters
In order to use your Berkey fluoride filter for the first time you must prime them. The filtering media contained in the element is very dense and contains dust from the manufacturing process. This dust needs to be rinsed from the media in order for the water to run clear and to break the surface tension of the filtering media. Please follow the instructions below in order to get the best results possible from your Berkey water filtering system.
PF-2 Fluoride filter priming instructions
Caution: When screwing the element onto the Black Berkey filter do not exceed 8 revolutions or the threaded portion of the filter will protrude too far into the fluoride filter and possibly damage the filter.
- With the blue caps in place wash the exterior of each PF-2 fluoride element with water and a mild dish washing soap, then rinse.
- With clean hands, remove both blue caps from each end of both filter elements.
- Place the rubber priming button (tan colored) onto one end of a PF-2 and align the hole of the filter with the hole of the rubber washer.
- Press the priming button up against the sink faucet so that the priming button creates a seal between the faucet and the Fluoride (PF-2) element.
- While holding the priming button against the faucet, turn on the cold water slowly, allowing water to fill the cavity of the filter and discharge from the opposite end. Allow water to flow for at least 30 seconds or until water runs clear whichever is longer
- Hint: place thumb on top of the faucet to apply pressure, this creates a better seal.
- Turn the Pf-2 filter over and prime the opposite end (reversing the flow of water) repeating steps 3 thru 5 until water runs clear from both directions.
- When you think the filters are flushed long enough, run some of the water that is being flushed through the filter into a clear glass and hold it up to the light to see if all of the cloudiness is gone from the water, if not continue priming until water is clear.
- This filter is now primed and ready to install.
- Prime each of the Fluoide (PF-2) elements as described above.