Almost 50 billion water bottles are consumed every year in the U.S. alone. The recycling rate for those 50 billion bottles is sadly just around 20 percent.
It is estimated that plastic takes 450 to even 1,000 years to break down. Before we get to what you can do about it, here are a few more disturbing facts about plastic pollution.
1. The process of making plastic water bottles in itself creates chemical pollution, uses a huge amount of fossil fuels, and contributes to global warming.
2. At least 80% of all of those water bottles are not recycled. They become litter, and garbage. Plastic is the #1 largest source of ocean pollution.
3. Chemicals that are added to plastics can be absorbed by the human body. 92% of Americans over the age of 6 test positive for the industrial chemical BPA.
4. Bottled water is generally just bottled tap water and is no cleaner or healthier.
5. Bottled water is much more expensive than tap water, about 3000 percent more expensive.
And that’s just water bottles! Plastic shopping bags, plastic straws, plastic food wrap and containers, plastic silverware, basically any form of disposable plastic contributes to the same problem.
Did you know that each year enough plastic is thrown away to circle the earth 4 times? 4 TIMES!!!!! Here’s some more FUN facts (yes, I jest):
In a lifetime, the average American will throw away 600 times his or her body weight in plastic.
Approximately more than 300 million tons of plastic will be produced next year.
Plastic ocean debris worldwide kills 100,000 mammals each year and 1,000,000 sea birds.
The point of this knowledge drop is this: Something CAN be done about it. You can make a huge impact by refusing to use disposable plastic.
One of the easiest, and most impactful ways to do this is to use a Berkey water filter. Using a Berkey filter keeps thousands of disposable water bottles out of our landfills and oceans every year. Not only will it help save the environment, but it will help save you money! One set of Black Berkey Elements will last up to 6,000 gallons. That is a cost of $.02 per gallon!! Using a Berkey over bottled water will also keep you from ingesting all of those nasty chemicals that can contribute to health problems.
So, WATER you waiting for? Do something good for yourself and the environment. Ditch those plastic bottles and make the switch to Berkey.