Better Water and Exercise


<- Home |

Proper hydration is an essential aspect of exercise. Regardless of if you are a serious athlete or exercising for recreation, drinking adequate amounts of water before, during, and after, is a necessity. 


There are differentiating ideas of the correct amount of water to drink daily, and when it comes to exercise, it is no different. The American Council on Exercise recommends the following: 17-20 ounces of water two hours before you start exercising, 7-10 ounces every 10-20 minutes during exercise, and then 16-24 ounces for every pound of body weight lost. What makes it hard to recommend water intake is all of the factors that go into a workout. How intense was the workout? How long did you work out? What kind of environment were you in? Do you sweat a lot? Thirst is an early sign of dehydration, so making sure to drink fluids during all three aspects of the workout is important. Some of the signs of dehydration are fatigue, dizziness, confusion, extreme thirst, and dark-colored urine. Dehydration can lead to more serious problems, from cramps to heat exhaustion, to heatstroke.

Berkey water and exercise

Now that we have the necessity for proper hydration down, let's turn to why we should be drinking purified water. The majority of households get their drinking water from the tap. A recent publication from the Environmental Working Group shows that over 200 million could be drinking toxic fluorinated chemicals, also known as PFAS. That is roughly 60% of the United States population. Co-Author of the study, Olga Naidenko, stated “This new paper shows that PFAS pollution is affecting even more Americans than we previously estimated. PFAS are likely detectable in all major water supplies in the U.S., almost certainly in all that use surface water.” All the while you are taking the necessary precautions to make sure you are hydrated during exercise, you do not know that you are putting harmful chemicals in your body. To see what contaminants are in your local water supply, you can put your zip code into our Water Quality Search and receive an instant report of the findings. 


Behind drinking tap water, one of the common drinking sources is bottled water. There are quite a few downsides to bottled water. In the long run, it is going to be much more expensive than tap water. Spending $3-$5 a case does not seem like a lot at the time but it starts to add up when this is a weekly purchase. The cost of 6,000 gallons worth of bottled water can be purchased for around $3,420 at a local grocery store. There is also a huge environmental impact that comes along with producing and getting rid of the plastic bottles. In 2016 the US used 4 billion pounds of plastic to make plastic bottles for water. The energy required to make these is equal to 64 million barrels of oil. Of all those bottles produced it is estimated that only 20% of those bottles get recycled. The other 80% usually end up in a landfill or bodies of water. While convenient, you can see the environmental impact bottled water has. 


So what is a good solution to both of these issues? Berkey Water Filter Systems. Every Berkey comes with two new Black Berkey Purification Elements. A pair of these filters can last up to 6000 gallons and reduce 200+ contaminants from your water. It is the perfect way to ensure that you are drinking purified water and give you that peace of mind. On the go and don't have time to wait for your water to filter? You can take your Berkey water on the go with the Sport Berkey. It uses the same filter as the larger systems but allows you to fill up your bottle in public and have purified water at your fingertips. You reap the monetary savings of not buying bottled water daily/weekly and also you and generations to come can reap the benefits of positively impacting the environment by using reusable drinking containers.

Yoga and Berkey 

Sources - https://www.acefitness.org/education-and-resources/lifestyle/blog/6675/healthy-hydration/ https://www.ewg.org/news-and-analysis/2020/10/ewg-news-roundup-1016-200-million-americans-likely-have-pfas-their-water https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/tap-water-vs-bottled-water#bottled



Categories


Recent Posts


Recommended Reading