Have you ever felt the need or desire to be better prepared? Especially when you have gone to the store looking for that soft TP only to leave empty-handed? Some will argue clean water is more important than good soft TP in an emergency. We often view the extreme prepper, the urban zero-waste advocate, off-the-grid folk, and homesteaders as very different people with different goals. In the end, they all share one crucial goal, independence, and self-reliance. Be it months on end sheltering-in-place or having to bug out of your home at a moment's notice due to a forest fire or hurricane, and your Berkey should be with you. Berkey gives you water independence and self-reliance.
Be prepared. You never know when things will shut down when getting water and supplies can be challenging or not feasible. Larger Berkey Systems are perfect for day-to-day use in regular times. In rough times it can be a lifeline. Knowing you have clean water is everything in an emergency. The water independence a Berkey gives you is ideal in a time of social distancing. Not having to go to the store to get water or fill up water jugs. Not having to rely on a water delivery service. These are just a few examples of the self-reliance and water independence larger Berkey Systems can provide while sheltering-in-place for extended periods.
Knowing where you can find water during a shelter-in-place can also be handy if something happens to the water supply. Check out this video that can give you some ideas of locations in your home that can provide you with access to water during an emergency.
Be prepared. It is scary to think about the worst-case scenario. Planning for the worst and hoping for the best is always a good plan. Knowing you are prepared for anything can help bring you peace of mind. Put together a bugout bag. A bugout bag has everything you need if you have just a few minutes to grab your family and things before leaving your home in a rush. The Go Berkey Kit is the perfect Berkey System for any bugout bag. At the very least, a Sport Berkey Water Bottle is a must-have!
A few essential items to keep in your bugout bag:
- First Aid Kit
- Rope or Paracord
- Non-Perishable Food
- Navigation Equipment
- Multi-Purpose Tools
- Extra Clothing
- Prescription Medication
- Pictures of your Family (including pets)!
Benefits of Berkey if you are sheltering in place or bugging out.
• Shelf-life - The Black Berkey Filters have an indefinite shelf-life. They will be ready when you need them.
• Simplicity - The Berkey is a gravity-fed water purification system. This means you do not require electricity or water pressure to purify your water. This is ideal for emergencies where you may not have power or water pressure.
• Longevity - On average, each Black Filter can purify 3,000 gallons of water. You will not need to run to the store to get new filters during an emergency or quarantine situation.
• Everyday functionality - The Berkey is so effective and efficient it can be used daily as part of your family's healthy living, not just for emergency or lockdown situations.
• Variety - There is the perfectly sized Berkey for every home and every bugout bag.
If you already have a Berkey at home, congratulations! You are already prepared for whatever hydration needs life may throw your way. That is what's excellent about Berkey; it's there for you every day of the year. Berkey is there in the good times and in the worst of times. Whether you are casually drinking pure water on an average day, sheltering-in-place for long periods, or running out the door at a moment's notice, Berkey has your back!
For more tips on preparing for a natural disaster, check out these tips on storing water and what to look for when prepping.