Maintenance and Cleaning
Of Your Berkey Water Filter System
Cleaning Your Berkey Water Filter System
Your Berkey water filter system is designed to provide a lifetime of purified drinking water for you and your family. Because of the effects water deposits and contaminants have on your unit it is necessary to clean your unit on a regular basis. We recommend cleaning your Berkey stainless steel chambers monthly, and the Black Berkey Purification elements every six months or as filtration speed slows. The container is made of a high-quality stainless steel that is easy to clean and maintain by just following a few simple instructions.
Cleaning The Stainless Steel Chambers
- Remove Black Berkey Purification Elements and Fluoride Filters if applicable
- Store filters in a safe place where there is no possibility of them rolling and breaking
- Remove Spigot
- Wash the container by hand using warm water and a mild dishwashing soap
- The stainless steel chambers can also be placed in a dishwasher to be washed
- If your water contains harmful contaminants be sure to add about 16 drops of household bleach to each gallon of water being used for cleaning.
- After washing with bleach, wash and rinse again with warm water and a mild dish soap
- The best method for drying your container is to let it air dry.
- Reassemble your Berkey after it dries and resumes filtering water.
- For all of your Berkey upkeep needs, check out the Berkey Maintenance Kit.
- Berkey Water Filter Performance
- Water Filter Comparison
- Filtration Specifications
- How Berkey Purifies
- Water Filter vs Water Purifier
- What does Berkey Remove?